The week in opera: spectacular sets, protests at the Met and some foodie fun
- One of Opera Australia’s most spectacular sets – for Tosca – is growing for its Melbourne debut (via The Opera Blog)
- The King and I continues to play to delighted audiences at the Sydney Opera House. Here’s what our critic-in-training thought. (Review)
- On Monday, tickets are on sale for Sydney’s most spectacular event, Opera on Sydney Harbour. Next year’s production is Aida – the grandest opera, for the grandest setting.
Around the web
Christopher Hogwood. Photo courtesy Opera Australia.
- The world mourns the loss of early music pioneer, maestro Christopher Hogwood. (BBC)
- Protesters picketed the opening night gala of the Met’s new season, about the upcoming production of The Death of Klinghoffer (NY Times)
- Strong reviews for Victorian Opera’s new commission, The Riders (The Age)
- Composing Outside the Lines – a great profile of Unsuk Chin (NY Times)
Just for fun