Close to home
- Handa Opera on Sydney Harbour opens in just two weeks and construction of the enormous harbourtop stage is moving at a cracking pace. La Fura dels Baus have created something truly special for Madama Butterfly - don’t miss it. Tickets and more information here.
- Rehearsals have begun for Melbourne’s Rigoletto, with the Melbourne Autumn opera season just six weeks away. Warwick Fyfe gives a great insight into the title role here.
- The critics raved about Eugene Onegin, Opera Australia’s first collaboration with the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden. Opera Australia’s Artistic Director Lyndon Terracini has hinted it will be the first of many. Particular accolades are flowing in for Nicole Car’s role debut as Tatyana. Read a review here, and find more info, video, photos and tickets here.
Watch the trailer:
- If you love opera and are keen to learn about the art of reviewing, Opera Australia is offering a mentorship for a budding opera critic. The idea is to equip an emerging writer with a knowledge framework to write an intelligent (and objective) review of opera.
Around the web
- Dame Kiri Te Kanawa is retiring from the stage.
- Peruvian tenor Juan Diego Florez talks about a changing voice (and what it means for a singer). It’s a big deal.
- A lost Spanish opera will be staged for the first time in Spain, thanks to an obsessive search by US Scholar Walter Clark.
- 10 ways to improve the Metropolitan Opera experience
Just for fun
Where have I heard that? The music of Carmen is everywhere, even in Up!