- The King and I is breaking box office records at the Sydney Opera House. It’s funny, it’s charming, it’s sumptuous. Tickets here.
- Emma Jarman is dedicating her first big break as a dancer in The King and I to her mum, who is deaf. (via Blue Mountains Gazette)
- The Arts Centre Melbourne posts a surplus. (via The Age)
Around the world
- Will Sweeney Todd (starring Emma Thompson and Bryn Terfel) really help the English National Opera? (via Telegraph UK)
- Are we doing surtitles right? (via Guardian)
- Are opera audiences becoming too casual? (via WQXR)
- Joyce Di Donato teaches a student to trill, with all her trademark loveliness
Just for fun
A butterfly lands on a flautist’s face during a competition – and she just gracefully keeps on playing.