Everything you need to know in the world of opera this week.
Close to home
There are just two more chances to see an opera in Melbourne this Spring … tonight and tomorrow afternoon at Arts Centre Melbourne. Book your tickets at opera.org.au
Plus, don’t forget Melbourne’s favourite free event is on Saturday December 13: Mazda Opera in the Bowl, a free outdoor concert of great opera hits accompanied by full orchestra, under the stars. It’s a magical night. More details here.
Rehearsals are underway for Opera Australia’s blockbuster Sydney Summer Season which opens at the Sydney Opera House on Boxing Day. Whether you like to laugh or cry, or just hear the hits in concert, there’s something for everyone. Book your tickets at opera.org.au
Around the web
- Golden glamour and glitz for the Egyptian attendants of Amneris in next year’s Aida on Sydney Harbour (via SMH)
- The Opera Bar at the Sydney Opera House reopens, hopes to be “world’s best” (via Daily Telegraph)
- Set design revealed for Aida on Sydney Harbour (via The Opera Blog)
- Aussie opera singers step into lead roles at Covent Garden (via SMH)
- Andrea Bocelli says opera is for the masses in this profile (via The Oakland Press)
- Police and protesters clash at La Scala as the opera season opens (via The Guardian)
- Best opera comedies available to watch, complete, on YouTube (via The Guardian)